Sunday, January 29, 2012

EDLD 5398ET (5370) Educational Technology Leadership Internship

Comprehensive Exam

Submitted by

Charolette Brown

Lamar University

EDLD 5398ET (5370)

Internship in Educational Technology Leadership

Online learning provides a comfortable setting environment for interactive learning group’s social setting, and structure for ease of learning. I started my first online learning in 2008, when I first entered in the Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program at Keller Graduate School of Management. After successfully completing my (MBA) online; I then thought about different methods in applying business analysis in an effort to incorporate and apply what I learned to my current role as a Corporate educator and Auditor. The business analogy applied showed different metrics systems in reporting business recommendation and solutions; which are a great tool in demonstrating what is working and what is not. This reporting system was clearly not enough to represent my research and findings. The problematic areas of my reports led to my journey in education. I researched many programs in hopes of finding the right program that would fit my area concentration in education.

In preparation in finding an education program to fit in my world of business but also captivate my interest in meshing business with education; this led to my journey in educational technology leadership at Lamar University in Beaumont (online). I first contacted an academic advisor about the program and was ensured that ETL program would be a great fit. Moving ahead, I started my first class May of 2010. According to Garrison, Anderson, and Archer (2001), the only thing that changes in an online learning environment is the channel across which learners communicate, not the social information processing mechanism that students use to make sense of the social environment. After moving through the channels of the program, I found myself paralyzed with the course curriculum assignments. The program is solely designed for educators who are teaching K-12 grade levels. This was an indication that the program might not be a great fit. I soon realized that maybe this is something that I can pursue outside of business.

While in the trenches of my assignments, and was clearly oblivious of; I had to buckle down on my coursework and look for guidance about the course through contact with my instructors and Cohort team. I found myself intricate in the program in understanding the day-to-day operations of school administrators, teachers, students, parents, and principles. In lieu of completing the course program; the program has afforded me the opportunity to share my knowledge and apply what I have learned throughout the 18 months. I more than delighted to report that I have received the best education possible from the ETL program. Last month, I was offered a position as a part-time online instructor at the Bachelor’s level.


Position and Leadership Goals

This position and leadership goal statements will provide an overview of my experience while in the internship program as it relates to Lamar University Educational Technology Leadership Master’s Program. I invite you to read about my personal and leadership goals as they are simultaneously applied today. I am currently employed as a part-time Online Adjunct instructor at Ultimate Medical Academy. I have been employed with this institution for approximately thirteen months. In addition to online teaching; I am a five year veteran at Humana, Inc., whereby in my current position, I am a medical coder, auditing, and educator.

Throughout the years of teaching whether its business or teaching related, I have always been involved in an educational forum in a group setting and online environment. Needless to say, I have always dedicated my time with helping others in a learning community. I would like to continue my position goal as an online instructor in facilitating an online classroom environment.

Over the past thirteen months, I have had the greatest opportunity in connecting with students in a collaborative learning environment. I would like to be in a position that will allow me the opportunity to teach effectively online, and allow students the same learning experience as in the traditional classroom. A primary characteristic that sets successful distance learners apart from their classroom-based counterparts is their autonomy (Keegan, 1996) and greater student responsibility (Wedemeyer, 1981).

In setting goals to become successful in leading a classroom; I would like to explore various opportunities in becoming a Program Dean of College. I know with my expertise in business and education will pave the way in leading a distance education program. Since the break of advance multimedia, technology has played a key role in changing the dynamics in online learning and distance education. The information between learners and content is the core of education. According to John Dewey, education occurs when individuals interact with their learning environment. As a role of a leader, I plan to help learners and educators by providing both with a basic foundation of knowledge and encourage learners to develop and use higher-order thinking skills to understand the information and assess new knowledge.


Reference

Garrison, D.R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2001). Critical Thinking, cognitive pressure, and computer conferencing in distance education. American Journal of Distance Education 15(1), 29-47

Keegan, D. (1996). Foundation of distance education. London: Rutledge

Munoz, M.D., & Munoz, M.A. (1998), John Dewey on Democracy, Education, Experience, and Communication. Implications for Adult Education in Developing Democratic Organizations.

Wedemeyer, C.A. (1981). Learning at the back door: Reflections on non-traditional learning in the lifespan. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press

No comments:

Post a Comment