Saturday, June 19, 2010

Unfamiliar Territory

I started down my career path about 2 years ago sure of only one thing; I knew, I wanted to acquire a MBA to elevate myself in a managerial role, after receiving the desire position a few months ago, and with only one class left before graduating from my MBA program. The desire to remain in Corporate America is gone, because I recently became a volunteer with a very good non-profit organization that help inner-city youth who have the disadvantage of being able to use technology either in the home, school, or a neighboring library. After volunteering for the organization for approximately four (4) months, I knew I wanted a career in teaching. In what capacity, I had no idea. In my current role as an auditor for a manage care company, my role is to present reports written and oral. About 40% of my time is spent with educating physicians and their staff by presenting power point presentations and dummy scenarios of what the practice most common errors in their practices. Since, I have been an educator for the company; I’ve decided to take teaching on as a career. After taking my first class in EDLD 5306, I now know for sure that I want to teach grades 9-12th. I am still limited with knowledge of teaching and all the rules that apply, developing a new curriculum, and understanding State regulations that must be followed by all school administrators, teachers, and district officials. I’m ready to take that leap into unfamiliar territory. In reading my colleagues blogs, discussion area, I now see the art of teaching, and how it can bring excitement to both the student and teacher. In this coursework, I have learned how to use and create blogs, wiki’s, and use interactive videos; I have learned so much in this course thus far. Additionally, I have found this course a lot harder than what I’ve expected because the course material is like learning a foreign language. I’m now beginning to understand the logistic of learning how to communicate in group forums over the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment