Saturday, November 27, 2010

What is Branding

In this week lesson, I learned the true meaning of a brand. A brand can be defined as a name or symbol that is commonly known to identify a person or a business. I have always known that a brand was associated with companies like Home Depot, Wal-Mart and Pepsi. These large corporations are known for their unique name and products in order to separate their business products from the competition. In reading the assigned articles, I understand that personal branding is getting your name out in the marketplace. Branding encompasses who you are as a writer, journalist, author and educator or whatever you want publish for the world to know about you. This week, I had to create a brand and much like anyone else, I created a brand that would uniquely identify me as a person, who enjoys working with others, helping others, and given back to the community.

In creating my brand, I first used the suggested exercise from the article by L. Alcantra, “The Art of Self-Branding.”. In the exercise, I emailed my friends and family to describe me as a person. And here are their posted responses.

Name / Relationship / Time Known / Description
Richard Brown / Spouse / 10 years / Driven, focused, and knowledgeable


Denise Duran / Co-worker / 4 years / Strong-willed, committed, and humorous


Denise Evans / Friend / 3 years / Independent, self-reliant, frearless / bold/courageous and kinetic


Nicole Grant / Co-worker / 9 months / Funny, smart, and witty


Marquita Martinez / Co-worker / 1 year / Honest, direct, and polite


Hollie Roper / Sister / Forever / Tenacious and sensitive

 
My brand is called the Groove. I chose the term groove because it reminds me of being on the go and listening to music in my daily activities. In thinking and designing my logo, I decided to add an interchangeable loop of ribbons to freely flow in connection with my inner-self, the design of the brand is a reminder of who I am as an individual and for the people I would like to touch now and in the future. I have a strong desire and commitment in people and non-profit organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment